[Tagging] How to tag traffic islands ?

Jerry Clough (SK53) SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 31 21:05:32 UTC 2015

This description of crossing=island is at odds with what I understand.

The crossing you show is a fairly standard crossing=uncontrolled as
described in the wiki (i.e., with explicit markings, but no signals) ,
albeit with an island.

I think I have used crossing=island for places like this:
http://openstreetview.org/available/4f48a26d9dd4a99914393aeea9f2c032b4af4c0a-large.jpg.

The island is clearly designed to facilitate pedestrian crossing, and
has a beacon light as well (although I am not at all sure what these
mean in the UK: they are fairly rare).

I can think of other islands where there is no form of marking for
crossings, but again the available evidence, suggests that these are
placed deliberately (e.g., dropped kerbs on pavements adjacent to the
island). Example:
http://www.mapillary.com/map/im/R87SRSO6XaEvW3SC_jgBTg/photo

In many case controlled (signalled) crossings have islands too.

Conclusion: the island property may more properly be thought of as
attributive, so something like island=yes might be appropriate.

Finally: I think these are perhaps more correctly known as pedestrian
refuges, and using a term like this may avoid ambiguity.

Jerry