[Tagging] Trolltags

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 00:32:37 UTC 2015

On 31/08/2015 9:41 PM, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 01:29:45 +0100
> "Dave F." <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
>
>> What's a 'trolltag'?
> It is not OK to use one tag (for example amenity=hotel) and add second
> tag that negates or massively change its meaning (for example adding
> involuntary=yes to amenity=hotel instead of using amenity=prison).
> Additional tags should clarify meaning of main tags rather than negate
> it.
>
> In general, any tag tag must be processed to avoid producing false or
> invalid data is a trolltag.
>
> For example somebody wants to produce map of cycleways. Simply
> processing highway=cycleway and highway=path with bicycle=designated
> should be enough.

highway-=path with bicycle=yes

highway=footpath with bicycle=yes or designated

highway=bridalpath with bicycle=yes or designated

... and

highway=* with cyclelane*=lane

and probably others!

Might be simpler to look for

highway=* with   bicycle=yes or designated, OR cyclelane*=lane !

>   Data consumer in that situation should not be
> expected to check for "proposed=yes", "demolished=yes",
> "construction=yes", "completely_fictional=yes" or "end_date=1990".
>
> Obviously, one may want to look for more detail - for example to show
> proper map of cycleways one would want to check also access, surface,
> oneway and other tags. But again - segment of cycleway destroyed in
> landslide should be removed from map rather than tagged as
> [highway=cycleway, surface=giant_gaping_hole, smoothness=impassable].
If the landside is going to be removed? I would leave it there .. mark
is as "underconstruction" or use HOT tagging methods.