[Tagging] Construction

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Sep 1 10:55:18 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 4:18 AM, johnw <johnw at mac.com> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2015, at 8:53 AM, Andrew MacKinnon <andrewpmk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The Gardiner is reduced to 2 lanes (was 3), the speed limit is lowered and
> it is causing huge traffic jams.
>

> if it is still a motorway, it is a motorway. reduce the lanes and the
> maxspeed, adjust the alignment of the motorway to be centered on the open
> lanes and mark construction areas beside the road (usually a lot bigger
> than just a lane).
>

> Then draw a way down the blocked  lane(s) and/or new lanes under
> construction and tag them as highway=construction + construction=motorway.
>
> it will show that, yes, the freeway is open (existing motorway with the
> open lanes), and yes, part of the freeway is under construction visually,
> but not affect routing.

I do this if the road is leaving the alignment drastically, but if it's
just lanes closed (as is the case on US 412/I 244 in my neighborhood, I
just use access:lanes.  Pull the member relations for I 244 in Oklahoma for
suggested tagging.  I couldn't really do this with the I 44 construction
(or the Crossroads construction in Oklahoma City) because the alignment
changed substantially in both cases.

 Perhaps there is a tag to put on the open section to discourage use or
outing or something.

construction=minor