[Tagging] Drafting proposal: use oneway=reversible or create tag?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 16:16:19 UTC 2015

> I don't know of an existing tag. I've searched for 'flow' and
> 'up/downstream' in taginfo, but the only thing I found came from
> imports and had very bad values from an OSM POV. Unless somebody has a
> better Idea, I suggest creating a tag.
> waterway:flow=forwards/backwards come to my mind, but that's an
> endlessly bikeshedable topic.

there are some very few occurences of previously mentioned "flow_direction"
http://taginfo.osm.org/keys/flow_direction#overview
we could also use incline=up/down (is in use, but rarely in conjunction
with waterways)

More often I found the undocumented "oneway:flow"
http://taginfo.osm.org/keys/oneway%3Aflow
(there is a oneway restriction in flow direction?) values are yes/no.

There are also 634 times "FlowDir" (atypical key name, likely from an
import)

Personally from the values in use that I found I'd go with "flow_direction"
(values in use are "forward" and "both"), because its not an abbreviation
and quite verbose in what it is describing. "oneway:flow" doesn't make much
sense to me.

cheers,
Martin