[Tagging] Semi-detached houses: undocumented iD preset

Ruben Maes ruben.maes96 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 14:29:20 UTC 2015

Hi all

Yesterday iD got a new preset: building=semidetached_house. https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/2776

This tag is *not documented anywhere at all*. Additionally it seems to merely be the result of an import ([1]) (See my comments on the GitHub issue.)

Bryan doesn't see any problems with undocumented tags. I do ([2]) so I want to have this tag either officially approved and documented or officially obsoleted by another tag.

I think the tag in se is fine, though not really consistent with building=detached. Does anyone think a better value would be more appropriate? If it's ok, I'll created a proposal for it based on my understanding of the tag.

Cheers
Ruben

[1]
It introduced
building:type=semidetached_house,
building:type=dwelling_house,
building:type=row_house and
building:type=multi_storey.
A lot but not all occurences seem to have been mechanically changed from building:type=* into building=*.

[2]
* It makes the data look wrong
* It does not allow mappers to understand how it should be used
* It doesn't give the devs of other editors the chance to implement it as well
* Mappers of other editors are not encouraged to use it and may well never even hear about it
* You can't know if you are mapping it correctly
* Data users can't know about it, even though they may well be interested in supporting it
etc...

--
The field "from" of an email is about as reliable as the address written on the back of an envelope. That's why this message is OpenPGP signed.