[Tagging] New types of pedestrian highways?

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Fri Sep 18 15:25:33 UTC 2015

We had a lot of problems related to rendering paths and footways in
osm-carto. In the end it was clear we don't know exactly what both these
types are, because many people have many different assumptions. Not even
paved/unpaved classification is satisfactory for everybody.

That's why I think we may need more of such types and I wrote about it
in the issue comment (
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1842#issuecomment-141425312
), so let me quote myself:

"I sometimes think we should have some more specific (foot)way types,
like:

- park/cemetery/allotment alley (they should be rendered later, as they
tend to be local and rather dense); highway=pedestrian is advised, but
this is different enough IMO than this, so maybe highway=alley + alley=*
then.

- outdoor/touristic/mountain path (those should be rendered earlier and
probably more intense, because they are for longer distances and rather
the most important thing in such places); maybe highway=outdoor +
outdoor=* then.

- sidewalk (probably more important than alleys, but less than outdoor
path); highway=footway + footway=sidewalk is already meant for this.

I guess general type of such ways are easier to use than demanding
people adding multiple other options (which is always welcome, of
course), because their intended use gives us good enough hints to know
how to treat them. We have much more general types for cars, so I think
this is the time to take care also for pedestrians."

down" [A. Cohen]