[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - aeroway=heliport

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sat Sep 19 01:21:30 UTC 2015

> On Sep 18, 2015, at 10:50 PM, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "A heliport is a small airport suitable only for use by helicopters. Heliports typically contain one or more helipads and may have limited facilities such as fuel, lighting, a windsock, or even hangars. In larger towns and cities, customs facilities may be available at a heliport."

The only two large aerodromes in my area are both heliports

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/36.31761/139.10783

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/36.4342/138.9530

Many heliports have a "runway" with a marked taxiway and official runway designation. This is for very large helicopters that are then towed or taxi off the "runway" to adjacent pads and hangars. These helipads serve as parking for large helis, and helipads for small ones, as well as emergency services. (First link)

The military ones often have very short actual runways (you could physically land very small planes on them) but are designated for helicopter use only. The large runway is used for mass landings and takeoffs, or serves vstol craft like an osprey, which flies as a plane, but has to take of like a helicopter (with a very short roll if it is heavy). (Second link)

So please note on the page tagging an actual numbered "runway" - even though it is just 50 feet square (or much larger for military ones)  - is proper and expected for some Helipads, as their designations as a "runway" are listed in international aerodrome information lists.

Javbw.