[Tagging] Delete not marked walking routes?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 09:56:00 UTC 2015

On 20/09/2015 4:45 PM, Pee Wee wrote:

> OnTalk-BE
> <https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-be/2015-September/007805.html>
> this question was asked. Since this is a question that applies not
> only to  Belgium I thought it would be good to raise the question
> here. User Escada asked the same question on OSM help
> <https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/45377/can-we-map-hiking-routes-found-in-books>
> that there is not much response there.
>
> Also on the Dutch forum
> <http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=32678>this question
> was asked. Much to my surprise there seem to be quite a few that think
> it is OK to have these non way marked routes in OSM. Main argument is
> that there are also other non visible elements in OSM (such as
> administrative boundaries, bus routes etc.).
>
> To keep discussion simple I suggest that we assume that the author of
> the booklet/website etc, in which a route is described allows us to
> enter this in OSM.  (no copyright issue)
>
> What do you think?
>
> Is is OK to have (walking) routes in OSM that have no visible marks on
> the ground and if so under what conditions?

Yes, these are OK to have within OSM.

Case a) Verifiable by documentation. Published (medium does not matter).
I'd think few would argue this case.

Case b) Frequent use and 'the best' route. This would be contentious.
However,

  * the map user would benefit from the indication of 'the best' route.
  * for my cases there are no near by documented routes.

So as an aid to the map user .. would be of benefit. The verification
comes from observance of the use of the route, that may take some time!
In highly developed and populated places this will seem wrong, in places
with less people and/or infrastructure there may be few routes that meet
the criteria set by those with the better infrastructure and more
population. In some places an 'international route' may only be 50 km
long .. in other places 2,000 km is not long enough to get to another
country. So 'rules' should be 'guides' that take into account the wide
variation around the globe.