[Tagging] sidewalk width

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 12:18:43 UTC 2015

@Mateusz

With so detailed tagging I would simply mark sidewalk as a separate
> highway=footway + footway=sidewalk.

In principle I agree with you, but if I tag a separate footway I also have
to tag all possible connections with the adjacent street, i.e. points where
pedetians can cross the road and crossings with lateral streets (and in my
area deal with badly aligned, imported, buildings that leave no space
between road and building). That's why in many cases the sidewalk= ... tag
is easier to handle and I wanted to be able to use it with width indication
as well.