[Tagging] Extremely long names for highways

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Sep 27 12:46:17 UTC 2015

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 5:21 AM, Peter <graphhopper at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we've detecting more and more long names for highways, like I once
> reported here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/karussell/diary/26055
>
> One example:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/51109811
>
> As discussed there the names are from official source, but should we
> really include this in the name tag?

Those look more like descriptions based on what Google's translating them
as (since they seem to be route descriptions similar to what was badly
imported from Oregon DOT in some parts of Oregon a couple years ago and not
the working names of the road).  Keep in mind that there are some
*redonkulously* long values for name=* that are actually valid, though.
Pretty much anything named after Martin Luther King, Junior is likely to
result in a long name in the US, but some places tend to push this farther
(Oklahoma, for example, has made it a policy recently to render highway
naming irrelevant as it chops roads with formerly contiguous names into
shorter sections with seemingly increasingly long names; with the longest
ones usually being named after deceased veterans of the Afghan War and Iraq
War from the city the highway got renamed in, ranging in length from a
single overpass to an entire border-to-border highway).