[Tagging] Adding floor location information

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 13:48:09 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29/09/2015 9:10 PM, Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:
>
>> On 9/29/15, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> b) indicating floor level in the mall is useful, and looking at the wiki
>>>>
>>> addr:floor is about the address, "level" is used more often.
>>>
>> When addr:floor=* was first proposed a few years ago, it had almost
>> the exact same semantics as level=*.
>>
>> Now, I'm using addr:floor=* to indicate the human-readable floor
>> information while level=* is used for the machine-readable number. For
>> example: addr:floor=Mezzanine Level and level=0.5
>>

> That is interesting. I like some of it.
>
> However .. do you have to have addr:floor= and level= on all the features?
>
> Would it not be better to have one declared relationship between the two,
> and then use whatever the mapper finds most convent on the individual
> features?
>
> The eventual render would then present the user with the add:floor  for
> their information and use the level= for routing (up/down/same level).

It would be hard to pin down a declared relationship. You might have to do
that on a building-by-building basis. For example, some buildings don't
have a 13th floor. Others don't have a 4th floor. And you also have
differing conventions per country: in the United Kingdom, the 1st floor is
the equivalent of the 2nd floor in the United States although both are
level=1. Furthermore, the human-readable information may be presented in
different ways. For example, a building may have a "Level 8" but on the
next building it would be "Eighth Floor".