[Tagging] Is it a man_made=mast?

Andreas Labres list at lab.at
Mon Apr 4 13:45:26 UTC 2016

On 04.04.16 13:31, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> On wiki man_made=mast is described as "usually a small tower of only a
> few meters
> height" ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dmast )

AFAICT man_made=mast corresponds to the usage of the German "Mast"

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mast_(Technik)

and is especially used for all those rod-shaped buildings that hold cellphone
antennas.
This has to be distinguished from towers that are something like German "Turm"

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turm

and that is size. That's where this "size" distinction comes from (AFAICT).

In English linguistic usage all this is called a "tower", I suspect.

> bilboard from

As this isn't rod-shaped it shouldn't be called a "mast". It should rather be
some advertising=billboard kind of thing. IMO. Also think of that high
McDonald's "M" advertising towers (that can be seen from highways far away),

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mcd_IMGP3581_wp.jpg

  either that should be tagged as kind of tower or as kind of advertising (I'd
prefer the latter).

/al