[Tagging] Community sustainability groups

KIDWELL Jeremy Jeremy.Kidwell at ed.ac.uk
Mon Apr 11 08:07:34 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I’m new to the list, so apologies if this has come up before. I’m writing to see if there has been any ongoing discussion about how best to tag community groups. In particular, I’m starting with things like community gardens (I realise this category seems to be mostly sorted with ), transition town initiatives, permaculture groups, community development trusts, eco-congregations, etc. I’m most concerned about striking a balance between some metadata which can capture the unique kind of work and geographical footprint these groups have accurately, but also keeping the data broadly accessible. So I’m wondering if tagging as an “amenity” might be better than something a bit more obscure, but am not quite sure that “amenity=social facility” or “amenity=community centre” fully captures the nature of these projects/initiatives. I’m most curious to hear if anyone else has been tagging these groups anywhere else and whether there might be some space for harmonising that work and setting up an OSM wiki.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

Best,
Jeremy

---
Jeremy Kidwell
AHRC/ESRC Post-doctoral Fellow
School of Divinity, University of Edinburgh
jeremy.kidwell at ed.ac.uk
0131 650 7975 (office)
0786 595 3824 (mobile)
http://www.blogs.hss.ed.ac.uk/tools-of-the-trade/
http://ancestraltime.org.uk
@kidwellj

Co-Editor, Theology and Economics: A Christian Vision of the Common Good (Palgrave, 2015)
Author, The Theology of Craft and the Craft of Work (Routledge, 2016)