[Tagging] surface earth vs ground vs dirt

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 18:29:29 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Am 12.04.2016 um 17:43 schrieb Viking <viking81 at tin.it>:
>
> What’s about bringing surface=ground, surface=dirt and surface=earth to the unique and most used tag surface=ground, as discussed here [1]?

as also discussed previously, there is slightly different meaning: ground is a synonym for without vegetation/bare (can also be rock) and without man made coating / pavement, earth is about the material (soil, which is organic material and mineral mixed) and dirt could be a reference to dirt roads and mean pebbles or split/grit or sand / dust.

I agree that dirt would better be avoided, as it could mean a lot of things, earth should maybe be soil and instead of ground we should maybe suggest different tags according to what should be tagged.

Substituting earth and dirt with ground should not be done.

cheers,
Martin