[Tagging] Masts vs Towers yet again

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 22:38:21 UTC 2016

>If there clearly was a difference in meaning or better if there was a
clear difference in meaning we wouldn't have the discussion. I got confused
myself in the past when trying to find the right tag.
There is a clear difference in meaning:

The word mast derives from Old English and German and means pole. Later
usage is for the main mast of a ship. Related words are spar and pylon. All
of these structures are rather thin in aspect; their heights are much, much
greater than their widths. There has been a discussion on this list or
elsewhere that aims to use the word mast for the communication antennae
found on ships or small boats. Although that usage is not common in my area
I have heard an antenna referred to as radio mast. In any case, these
"structures" are all tall and thin

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 5:23 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16/04/2016 3:21 AM, Malcolm Herring wrote:
>
>> On 15/04/2016 17:17, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>
>>> do you agree to use tower for communication towers?
>>>

>> Yes. My suggestions relate to the form of the structures, not their
>> usage. Those would be defined by secondary tags.

> Mast: a single vertical pole, it may have supporting guy wires.
>
> Tower: a structure much taller than its lateral width.
>
> ? I don't like many words - in principle KISS.
>
> The contention comes from 'common use' of the word 'tower' to refer to
> things that are a single pole (mast).
> Perhaps that needs to be made clear in the OSM wiki page on tower ..
> "excludes single pole structures, use 'mast'"?

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand