[Tagging] Masts vs Towers yet again

Marc Zoutendijk marczoutendijk at mac.com
Sat Apr 16 07:02:40 UTC 2016

> Op 16 apr. 2016, om 08:27 heeft Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:
>
> but in these cases there would typically be a room in the tower, i.e. the pole is there to support something on top, or is big and hollow and accessible in the inside.
>
> this is not a tower: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/Borough_Hill_mast.jpg <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/Borough_Hill_mast.jpg>
>
> this is not a mast:
> https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torre_della_televisione_di_Stoccarda#/media/File:Stuttgarter_Fernsehturm6.jpg <https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torre_della_televisione_di_Stoccarda#/media/File:Stuttgarter_Fernsehturm6.jpg>

I agree with this vision, but in the last case, which we also see very often in my country (The Netherlands), one still could say that we see a mast on top of a tower, like this one:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/Gerbrandy_tower.jpg <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/Gerbrandy_tower.jpg>

Which creates even more confusion.

A tower is built on the spot where you see it. But a mast is very often constructed elsewhere and simply erected on the spot where you see it, although I’m not sure if we can use this in our decision on how to tag.

Marc.