[Tagging] Masts vs Towers yet again

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 12:39:13 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 16 apr 2016, alle ore 10:11, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> But the second is more difficult. It exhibits the main characteristics of a mast but it has some sort of accommodation near the top, which might persuade me to tag it as a tower. Very tricky to tag.

to me that is clearly a tower, btw. the first of its kind, from 1956, and copied multiple times (e.g. by the Berlin tv tower). I d call the concrete part a shaft rather than a mast, but even mast might not be completely wrong, just that with the cafe on top it clearly becomes a tower.

> Then,as if to add insult to injury, Marc and you add an example where what might be tagged as either mast or tower clearly has another mast on top of it.

yes, that's quite typical, having a mast on top of a tower (or tower building), also because it's a cheap method to get your tower a bigger height in ranking lists ;-)

cheers
Martin