[Tagging] tagging 'showground'?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 22:53:06 UTC 2016

On 25/04/2016 9:08 PM, Warin wrote:
> On 25/04/2016 7:20 PM, Marc Gemis wrote:
>> the one that I remembered was this thread:
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2014-March/016768.html
>> on leisure=events
>> Is this similar to what you want to tag ?
> Very, very similar. Thanks. I have made some initial comments on its discussion page.
>> m.
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
>> <dieterdreist at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> sent from a phone

>>> exhibition area
> Some exhibition areas are indoor, show grounds are outdoor (at least the ones here:-)  ).
>>>
>>> fair grounds
> Fair grounds I associate with amusement rides, sugary food and soft drinks.
> While most show grounds have those too to some degree - but those facilities are mobile and not permanent like the show ground itself.
>
> Hummm ...An English example for those not familiar with show grounds?
> http://www.threecounties.co.uk/
> has 4 'shows' per year ...
> 'RHS Spring Festival'
> 'Championship Dog Show'
> 'Royal Three Counties Show'
> 'Malvern Autumn Show'
> The area/facilities are also available for hire. I think this would be run by the local government authority, and at least some of the shows would be run by them too.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/271715016#map=16/52.0828/-2.3122
> Within OSM it is presently tagged amenity=showground as a node, the area is tagged landuse=commercial.

To my way of thinking a showground is not a commercial landuse. It is a recreational use ... so I am now tending to wards

landuse=recreation_ground

recreation_ground=showground

Examplehttp://www.openstreetmap.org/query?lat=-31.90424&lon=152.46577

http://tareeshow.org/  This concentrates on the yearly 'show' event ...
does not show the markets on Friday.. Mens Shed .. etc.