[Tagging] Proposal for standardization of sidewalk schema (+ import)

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Tue Aug 2 15:08:32 UTC 2016

Hey Meg,
I read through your proposal at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/sidewalk_schema <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/sidewalk_schema>

I don’t see anything in there that is any different from how sidewalks and crossings are already being tagged in OSM.  This is good!

As far as I can tell, it doesn’t change any tags - it just establishes a preference for tagging sidewalks and crossings as separate features rather than including sidewalk tags on the related street geometry.

When sidewalks, curb ramps, and crossings are tagged as a separate features, it allows mappers to supply attributes essential for tagging situations like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ky4eolv1nm0805y/sidewalk.jpg?dl=0
…which can really ruin your day if you were to encounter that sidewalk in a wheelchair.

Thanks for your work in this area!
Bryan