[Tagging] Proposal for standardization of sidewalk schema (+import)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 05:52:29 UTC 2016

On 02/08/2016 23:24, Ilya Zverev wrote:

> In Russia it has been the norm for a long time. Not that we have
> mapped every sidewalk, but using the sidewalk=* tag is frowned upon.

Maybe, but a quick look at some random Russian places suggests that the
normal way to map sidewalks there is "not at all":

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/55.8526/38.4328

https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=58.2&mlon=68.266667&zoom=12#map=15/58.2299/68.2747

https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=63.566667&mlon=53.7&zoom=12#map=16/63.5649/53.6731

https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=42.880278&mlon=47.638333&zoom=12#map=15/42.8863/47.6341

A few major roads have sidewalks (especially where they're large
boulevards) but most don't have anything at all.  That's just a sample
from the middle of the page of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_and_towns_in_Russia_by_population
.  Not that places elsewhere are likely to be better (the UK, where I'm
from, certainly isn't).

Cheers,

Andy