[Tagging] Proposal for standardization of sidewalk schema (+ import)

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Aug 3 21:57:25 UTC 2016

On 8/1/2016 3:11 PM, Philip Barnes wrote:
> The first problem I see is that mapping sidewalks as a separate way
> should not be done unless there is a physical separation. For a
> pedestrian the sidewalk is a part of the road.

It depends. Both ways are used, and they both have advantages and
disadvantages

Adding as a property of a road is

- faster
- easier for guidance
- less prone to connectivity errors
- easier to consume in some cases

Adding as separate ways is

- slower
- error-prone
- better for representing complex connectivity
- Easier to tie in with some walking networks where a sidewalk
transitions into a more normal footway independent of a road
- Better for curb information
- Messy to edit

I far prefer adding it as a property to roads unless

- It's already done the other way where I'm editing;
- I need to connect it with paths to features away from the road; or
- There are complex walking restrictions at intersections

Except in those situations, it's not worth the additional complexity of
editing