[Tagging] leisure=track on areas?

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Thu Aug 4 10:55:05 UTC 2016

Warin wrote on 2016/08/04 08:14:
> On 8/4/2016 3:42 PM, Daniel Koć wrote:
>> but it appears we don't know how should we treat leisure=track: is it a linear object or maybe kind of area?
>
> I have seen it both ways.

Yes exactly. The source of the uncertainty was that is used to be filled in the former
mapnik and current carto style, along with other leisure features.

> As a simple way it is a linear object similar to a road.

I tend to agree that this is the best interpretation. There are e.g. jogging tracks that
are independent of a sport centre, and should not be filled.

 > As a relation - with inner and outer ways .. you now 'know' the area involved.
 >
 > I prefer the relationship ... more detail, less assumptions.

Yes, for the classic 400 m oval in a sports centre / stadium, the multipolygon seems to be the
gold solution, and I convert it from a single polygon wherever I come across.

Sometimes however there are individual 60m or 100m sprint tracks, often on school grounds,
which I draw as a long narrow rectangle and add area=yes to clarify interpretation,
despite validators warning that leisure implies it.

The wiki already advises "to always add an area=yes/no tag in the case of closed ways."

tom