[Tagging] Mapping amenity=prison

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:54:36 UTC 2016

Many of the correctional facilities in my part of the world own land that
is much larger than the area enclosed in their walls. Sometimes it's simply
open space used as a buffer zone. Sometimes it's operated as a 'prison
farm'. Sometimes it's simply inhospitable woodland that it was too much
work to clear.

If I have the cadastral information for the lands (which are usually posted
to forbid entry, so visible "in the field"), what's a recommended way to
tag? What I'm thinking is to put amenity=prison on the whole area and then
barrier=wall or barrier=fence on the enclosure.

I see, though, that other mappers have simply put "amenity=prison" on the
wall and not mapped the outlying fields. That may, however, come from
armchair mapping from orbit - it's hard to distinguish the prison farm from
the next farm over.

What's right?