[Tagging] OSM in French and Dutch [or any monolingual]

André Pirard a.pirard.papou at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 16:38:59 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-09 11:37, joost schouppe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Someone asked on Twitter about a rendering of OSM in Dutch and French
> to avoid the clutter of bilingual names in the standard rendering.
>
> https://twitter.com/iciBrussels/status/762743820358418432
>
> The French render is easy, OSM France provides it. But how about a
> Dutch rendering? Do you know of one?
>
> It might be cool to create a little webmap on OSM.be with the three
> official languages. If you help me find a Dutch rendering, I can make
> that (I've just learned the basics about leaflet).
>
> It looks rather easy to make a style with mapbox, but you need to
> extract the data through Overpass for exotic languages like Dutch, so
> it would be a bit of a job to keep that up to date.
I don't understand exactly what the problem is.
OSM.org displays the names according to the Language preference of the
browser (1).
Precisely, it displays a name in the first language of that preference
that matches one in the map.
Else, it displays the common default name.
E. g. if the preference is fr,ru :
if name:fr exists, display it, else if name:ru exists, display it, else
display name.
Hence, to reliably display Dutch, the preference must be nl,... and
name:nl must exist.
Or name=* must be in Dutch, but see gotcha.
That is a gotcha, of course.  If name=French_name has been coded and a
good soul adds mane:ru=России_имя, the fr,ru French speaker accepting
Russian will see the Russian name.  When adding name:ru=*, name:fr=*
must also be added.
This is especially strange in a region like Brussels.
The law says that the names must be written in both fr and nl.
But no Belgian sees that because their preference uses fr or nl.  Only
foreigners do.

So, what could be improved is

  * a &ln=<languages> in the OSM.org URL to force the preference and do
    without (1)
      o assuming a name:ll=* tag equal to name=* where ll is the only
        language of the names
      o or running a bot to add the name:ll=* names automatically

Cheers

André.

(1) or the simulation of the browser's preference as Ben noted