[Tagging] [OSM-talk-be] OSM in French and Dutch [or any monolingual]

André Pirard a.pirard.papou at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 01:58:42 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-11 23:59, Ruben Maes wrote:
> On donderdag 11 augustus 2016 18:26 André Pirard wrote:
>> (...)
>> OSM.org displays the names according to the Language preference of the
>> browser (1).
>> Precisely, it displays a name in the first language of that preference
>> that matches one in the map.
>> Else, it displays the common default name.
>> E. g. if the preference is fr,ru :
>> if name:fr exists, display it, else if name:ru exists, display it, else
>> display name.
>> (...)
> I don't know where you get this, but it is completely false.
> For what you say to be possible, there would have to be separate tiles for every language. That's not the case, everyone gets https://{a,b,c}.tile.openstreetmap.org/{zoomlevel}/{xxxx}/{yyyy}.png.

What I said is in fact how OSM.org display names in the Nominatim search
left pane.

What Joost is asking, "a rendering of OSM in Dutch and French" ("or", I
suppose)
can be done by overlaying a nameless background and names foreground
like this example for Liège and Russian:

http://c.tile.openstreetmap.de:8002/tiles/1.0.0/bg//11/1055/688.png
http://c.tile.openstreetmap.de:8002/tiles/1.0.0/labels/ru/11/1055/688.png
http://c.tile.openstreetmap.de:8002/tiles/1.0.0/labels/ru,_/11/1055/688.png

The foreground overlay could be rendered in text mode for speed.

Cheers

André.