[Tagging] Tagging of larger surfaces for rendering and routing

Georg Feddern osm at bavarianmallet.de
Mon Aug 15 08:22:51 UTC 2016

Am 14.08.2016 um 23:24 schrieb Stefan de Konink:
> On zondag 14 augustus 2016 22:43:04 CEST, Marc Gemis wrote:
>> IMHO, the value of the highway tag should define its use, not the
>> surface from which it is made.
>> So highway=pedestrian (or service or ...), surface=grass; area=yes
>> makes more sense to me
>>
>> (or would you start defining highway=paving_stones, cobblestones, etc.
>> as well ?).
>
> It seems that many people in this discussion take the value "grass" so
> something extreme. The fact grass is used, is because it is currently
> hides the surface in the rendering, and no other common value of
> unpaved areas exists that fits the bill. Personally I find
> highway=service, surface=grass, area=yes appropriate for the camping site

For the whole camping site? Won't there be always some - at least
virtually - defined parts for the tents/caravans (pitch) and some
defined parts for the driving (ways)?

> but not when it rendered as paved road.

It is not rendered as _paved_ road, it is rendered as _road_ ("part of
the world where mainly rolling traffic will occure").

It is part of the renderer to decide, which part of the mapping he will
show - based on the intention of the renderer.
A highway renderer will show the highways - always in contrast to the
surrounding, even if they have the same surface.
A surface renderer will show the surface - and will ignore the
difference of the use/service.
Even a mixture is possible with casing and filling - may be that's what
your intention is.

Just by the seperation of the meaning 'using' and 'surface' - and just
and only by the seperation in different tags.
It is simply not neccessary to mix them up in one (main) tag.

If you have
tourism=camp_site
highway=service
camp_site=camp_pitch
- and all with surface grass
you have all opportunities for all different rendering - it just depends
on the chosen renderer.

>> A renderer could look at the surface tag to colour the area. No reason
>> to start inventing new values for the highway tag.
+1