[Tagging] OSM in French and Dutch [or any monolingual]

Mon Aug 15 21:37:29 UTC 2016

On 11-08-16 18:38, André Pirard wrote:
> On 2016-08-09 11:37, joost schouppe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Someone asked on Twitter about a rendering of OSM in Dutch and French
>> to avoid the clutter of bilingual names in the standard rendering.
>>
>> https://twitter.com/iciBrussels/status/762743820358418432
>>
>> The French render is easy, OSM France provides it. But how about a
>> Dutch rendering? Do you know of one?
>>
>> It might be cool to create a little webmap on OSM.be with the three
>> official languages. If you help me find a Dutch rendering, I can make
>> that (I've just learned the basics about leaflet).
>>
>> It looks rather easy to make a style with mapbox, but you need to
>> extract the data through Overpass for exotic languages like Dutch, so
>> it would be a bit of a job to keep that up to date.
> I don't understand exactly what the problem is.
> OSM.org displays the names according to the Language preference of the
> browser (1).
> Precisely, it displays a name in the first language of that preference
> that matches one in the map.
> Else, it displays the common default name.
> E. g. if the preference is fr,ru :
> if name:fr exists, display it, else if name:ru exists, display it, else
> display name.
> Hence, to reliably display Dutch, the preference must be nl,... and
> name:nl must exist.
> Or name=* must be in Dutch, but see gotcha.
> That is a gotcha, of course.  If name=French_name has been coded and a
> good soul adds mane:ru=России_имя, the fr,ru French speaker accepting
> Russian will see the Russian name.  When adding name:ru=*, name:fr=*
> must also be added.
> This is especially strange in a region like Brussels.
> The law says that the names must be written in both fr and nl.
> But no Belgian sees that because their preference uses fr or nl.  Only
> foreigners do.

A good samaritan could then write a script that in all officially
multilangual areas (think Brussels, certain areas of Canada, Fryslân
etc) checks whether for each item which has a name:<lang1>, a
name:<lang2>  is also present, and, to get more political, whether a
name (without lang) doesn't advance either of those languages.

I am not that good samaritan though!

Tijmen