[Tagging] Satellite visibility of archaeological sites

Stefano sabas88 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 12:24:18 UTC 2016

> Hi all,
>
> how would you tag whether an archaeological site is visible on satellite
> images?
>
> Sardinia has several 1,000 large megalithic stone towers (nuraghe), about
> 600 of which are in OSM. However, they have different states of
> preservation. Some are clearly visible on the satellite image (with
> extensive structures present), but others aren't (and there probably isn't
> much remaining).
>
> This doesn't necessarily indicate their preservation - some are covered by
> forest. So a tag like "preservation" may not be easy to add unless you do a
> ground survey.
>
> However, I'd like to add something like "visibility", indicating whether
> the site is clearly visible from a satellite image (and may thus be worth
> visiting).
>
> What do you think? What tag should I use?

Probably you could use tourism = attraction for the most important (Su
Nuraxi, Nuraghe Losa, and so on, perhaps the ones mantained by someone?).
I never had the possibility to further extend the tagging, but the nuraghes
differ by period and by shape (single tower towards castle).

See this for the tagging (I discussed it some years ago with the italian
community) http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/IT:Glossario_OSM#Nuraghe

Here's my map of them (manually updated)
http://nuraghe.org/map.html#8/40.097/9.124

> Bjoern

Regards,
Stefano