[Tagging] Multiple values for one key - the cuisine problem.

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 00:48:02 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 24 ago 2016, alle ore 22:06, Marc Zoutendijk <marczoutendijk at mac.com> ha scritto:
>
> A problem is that the wiki doesn't mention any of these cases.
> I would like your opinion on which way we should deal with those issues.

a possible solution would be to change the way cuisine tagging works: use an approach like for payment systems, this would also allow to be more precise than just "italian", e.g.
cuisine:french=yes
cuisine:italian=yes
cuisine:pizza=yes
cuisine:sardinian=yes (more specific sub-type of "italian" cuisine)
cuisine:steaks=yes
all on the same object.

Generally I prefer the term "regional" for local cuisine types, because "italian" doesn't really tell you the type of cuisine when you're in Italy, similarly to cuisine=french that is very rough for a French restaurant in France (and doesn't provide the necessary information to a French person looking for a restaurant).

cuisine types work well for particular kinds of food (e.g. burgers, pizza, sushi, steaks, kebab), ethnic restaurants far from their originating country (e.g. mexican, indian, persian, chinese in Europe), but "french" or "italian" don't work in France or Italy, too generic.

cheers,
Martin