[Tagging] [Talk-us] Freeway exit tagging

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Aug 26 06:37:13 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 11:06 PM, David Mease <meased3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Road markings are both beneficial and useful for navigation. Cities and
> governments have paid a lot of money installing them all over globe
> precisely for these reasons. OSM would be well served to include them
> exactly as is. I don't hear a lot of people complaining about how those
> arrows on the roads led them astray.

Arrows on the road, at least in North America, are typically only installed
to indicate relatively unusual lane restrictions, with the typical lane
restrictions assumed to be common knowledge.  This is where this trips up
automation, as machines need to be told about these restrictions in order
for them to be able to provide useful feedback from it or lane guidance
will be a NP-complete thing for data consumers to deal with.  I mean, I get
it, don't tag for the data consumer.  But on the other hand, don't break
the data consumer with stupid tagging schemes, either.