[Tagging] Roads with no speed limits

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Sun Aug 28 19:46:55 UTC 2016

> On Aug 28, 2016, at 12:35 PM, Hans De Kryger <hans.dekryger13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Here in Phoenix Arizona more than half the freeway off ramps have no listed speed limit. Does (maxspeed=none) work? I've worked hard here in the valley adding speed limits and when you look at the ito map it looks like no one added any to the off ramps when in fact most of them have been surveyed and they have none. How to tag them?

I am surprised that as many as nearly half the off ramps have no signed speeds. I’d guess that in California only about 10% have signed speeds and nearly all of those are advisory (yellow/orange background) rather than mandatory (white background) signs.

I have been leaving off maxspeed tags if the ramp speed is not signed.

I am not even sure that the legal speed limit on those are when not posted, I’d guess the same as the freeway they exit from but in most cases it is moot as there will be a traffic control device (stop sign or traffic signal) at the end of the ramp which means you need to be going slow enough to stop.