[Tagging] cave_entrance. ref and name

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 15:20:19 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 29 ago 2016, alle ore 12:24, Richard <ricoz.osm at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> are you saying we should use "cave:ref" just to avoid the use of a relation?

according to the wiki, that's the standard fag to add to a cave entrance for referring to the cave ref

> Why? Is there a new trend to avoid relations at all cost?

it's actually an old rule. Relations, being expensive, should be avoided where not necessary. They are also less reliable, because you can easily add tags for the cave to the entrance without finding the cave object, but to add them to a cave relation you will have to find the relation first

> I would be delighted
> if we could do that with landcover multipolygons.. and maybe we should?

it's up to you. Landuse and landcover should IMHO be mapped as small as reasonable, inner members are usually not necessary when you split stuff into small pieces. Those are more lightweight and easier to modify/improve. On the other hand there's still use for MPs to avoid overlapping edges: every landuse will have a neighboring landuse, in hilly terrain (e.g.) those can have a lot of nodes.

cheers,

Martin