[Tagging] Roads with no speed limits

Hakuch hakuch at posteo.de
Tue Aug 30 10:59:58 UTC 2016

On 30.08.2016 12:45, Hakuch wrote:
> On 28.08.2016 21:35, Hans De Kryger wrote:
>> Here in Phoenix Arizona more than half the freeway off ramps have no listed
>> speed limit. Does (maxspeed=none) work? I've worked hard here in the valley
>> adding speed limits and when you look at the ito map it looks like no one
>> added any to the off ramps when in fact most of them have been surveyed and
>> they have none. How to tag them?
>
> "Don't map your local legislation, if not bound to objects in reality"
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice

However, the real question here is: "how to mark objects, that they dont
need to be tagged". That question rises occasionally in osm, but there
are no solutions yet. I personally sometimes would like to have
something like maxspeed=inherit or maxspeed=default, so you see that
someone already checked the situation.
We have some other cases with "default values" that are advised not to
be tagged. But then you can't differ between not-checked and default value.
Otherwise, then you would be pushed to tag a lot of stupid tags with its
default value to any object, just to mark that you did not forget to
check it. Thats no solution ever.