[Tagging] 'ongoing' U-turn restriction

André Pirard a.pirard.papou at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 02:09:18 UTC 2016

On 2016-12-07 22:53, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Apparently there are roads that have an 'ongoing' U-turn restriction,
> see the sign here for example: http://openstreetcam.org/details/10053/304
>
> I know how to tag this for an intersection but not how to do it for an
> entire way where U-turns are prohibited.
The concept of a node where one cannot U-turn and where one could U-turn
1 meter before it is a strange one.
In Belgium, signal C33
<http://www.code-de-la-route.be/textes-legaux/sections/ar/code-de-la-route/251-art68>
indicates that one cannot U-turn from the position of the signal up to
and including the next crossing.  It's obviously always in force over a
span of the highway, it indicates a one-way section and the simplest way
to indicate that is oneway=yes.

I find the road-signal-like tagging dangerous.
I have seen municipality limit tags that did not show on which side the
municipality is and that would be called redundant by someone disliking
that tagging.
I have seen give-way tags right in the middle of 3-way junctions.
Really, what did the tagger have in mind?
Priority to the right?  i did not find tagging for this one.
Etc.

Cheers

André.