[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discourage tourism=gallery

Max abonnements at revolwear.com
Tue Feb 2 22:17:52 UTC 2016

On 2016년 02월 02일 20:54, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> both, the two examples above, as the first two  examples on the link,
> clearly show that the word gallery has multiple meanings:
>
>   * Many galleries display the art prints without prices - hoping to get
>     more easily into an e-mail contact with their visitors.
>   * The new renaissance and baroque galleries at the Waiters Art Museum,
>     Baltimore, include rooms that resemble those of a
>     seventeenth-century Dutch nobleman.

I can understand where the confusion is coming from, but it is actually
not really hard to distinguish.

The art gallery is an important part of the art business. There is the
gallerist whose job it is to find promising artists to invest in. The
gallerist works with the artist to promote the artist and is selling the
artworks of the artist. Usually the gallerist has a contract with the
artist that grants the gallerist the right to represent this artist for
a country or continent.

For the layman it might be confusing that there are museums which also
call some of their rooms a gallery, or even the whole museum is called
gallery. This however is just because in this context gallery is used as
a synonym for exhibition space. Here it is more the architectural sense
of the word gallery, just like it can be used for things that are
balcony like.

If an artist says something like: "Next month I'll show my work in a
gallery in Paris" you can safely assume that the art gallery of the
first kind is what is referred to.

Sure, in a seruous gallery you will not find pricetags on the works. If
you do see them, that's a sign it might be just what is described as
shop=art in the wiki. Why? because the gallery will either have a
separate sheet of paper with the prices and the list of works, or the
gallerist prefers to negociate individually with the clients.

So your examples are not confusing at all. That there is no price tag,
is no indicator that it is a museum.
The second example is clearly using the word gallery in the
architectural or exhibition space sense, but that doesn't make it an art
gallery. It's a museum (which has some thematic rooms/exhibition spaces
a.k.a. "galleries").

Does it make sense?

Max