[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discourage tourism=gallery

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 09:10:26 UTC 2016

> > both, the two examples above, as the first two  examples on the link,
> > clearly show that the word gallery has multiple meanings:
> >
> >   * Many galleries display the art prints without prices - hoping to get
> >     more easily into an e-mail contact with their visitors.
> >   * The new renaissance and baroque galleries at the Waiters Art Museum,
> >     Baltimore, include rooms that resemble those of a
> >     seventeenth-century Dutch nobleman.
>
> I can understand where the confusion is coming from, but it is actually
> not really hard to distinguish.
>
> The art gallery is an important part of the art business. There is the
> gallerist whose job it is to find promising artists to invest in. The
> gallerist works with the artist to promote the artist and is selling the
> artworks of the artist. Usually the gallerist has a contract with the
> artist that grants the gallerist the right to represent this artist for
> a country or continent.
>
> For the layman it might be confusing that there are museums which also
> call some of their rooms a gallery, or even the whole museum is called
> gallery. This however is just because in this context gallery is used as
> a synonym for exhibition space.

+1, I completely agree and am not confused at all (I am frequently visiting
galleries myself).

> Here it is more the architectural sense
> of the word gallery, just like it can be used for things that are
> balcony like.

that's yet another meaning I think (might be that these spaces have
historically been used to put up paintings and that the museum usage is
coming from there, but the word is now used for a type of architectural
element independently of art being shown or not). These would likely be
tagged differently (building:part=gallery etc.) so they don't pose a
problem.

> If an artist says something like: "Next month I'll show my work in a
> gallery in Paris" you can safely assume that the art gallery of the
> first kind is what is referred to.

sure

> Sure, in a seruous gallery you will not find pricetags on the works. If
> you do see them, that's a sign it might be just what is described as
> shop=art in the wiki. Why? because the gallery will either have a
> separate sheet of paper with the prices and the list of works, or the
> gallerist prefers to negociate individually with the clients.

+1, typically either separate pricelists (on request) or individual
negotiation.

> So your examples are not confusing at all. That there is no price tag,
> is no indicator that it is a museum.

+1, I didn't mean to say these examples (btw., they're your examples, they
are the examples from your dictionary link) were confusing, I wrote they
are proving that the word "gallery" is used for different things. The
problem is that the tag "tourism=gallery" or "amenity=gallery" don't tell
you which kind of gallery is meant. Intuitively I would have said it's the
first type (gallery as part of the contemporary art discourse, works for
sale), but as the wiki defines it as the second type (museum type), it is
clear that we will have problems with this tag to know what was meant.

Maybe we can use more explicit values, e.g.
"amenity=contemporary_art_gallery" for the first type? This is admittedly
quite a long tag, but it is much more verbose about what is actually
tagged, and would lead to less wrong tagging I guess. My stance for the
museum art galleries is to tag them as museums and subtype.

Cheers,
Martin