[Tagging] highway=crossing and crossing=*

Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 6 09:13:44 UTC 2016

Hi all,

again and again I find roads tagged with highway=crossing

instead of highway=footway [+ footway=crossing]

or maybe highway=cycleway [+ cycleway=crossing]

I think the wiki pages for highway=crossing and crossing=* are too confusing.

While the tag wiki for highway=crossing is clear that the tag should only be used on nodes, the tag

crossing=* is also appropriate for ways (so says the wiki).

See

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dcrossing

and
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:crossing>

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:crossing

and<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:crossing>

<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:crossing>https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Approved_features/Road_crossings

If I got that right, the tags crossing=* (and crossing_ref=*) can be used like this:

1) only on the node that is tagged highway=crossing (this seems to be the most often used variant)

2) on both the way that crosses the major road as well as the node

3) only on the minor way

I see one major problem with option 2):

It allows conflicting attributes, e.g. crossing=traffic_lights on the node and crossing=uncontrolled on the way.

So I think the wiki should discourage the use of crossing=* and crossing_ref=* on the minor way. What do you think?

Gerd