[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discourage tourism=gallery

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Mon Feb 8 23:14:46 UTC 2016

On 9 February 2016 at 00:02, Max <abonnements at revolwear.com> wrote:
> The Moma is a Museum.

Please keep in mind that this is your personal definition - and
perhaps the definition of the people in your field. But that's not
necessarily the definition of the average English speaker. For
example, Wikipedia calls the following museums all art galleries in
their first line:
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_Institute_of_Fine_Arts
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tate_Modern
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Portrait_Gallery,_London

I don't think either fit your definition. You could say Wikipedia is
wrong here, but I think it does show that English speakers use the
term 'art gallery' in this sense of the word too.

Are you British yourself, by the way?

> For actual (contemporary) art galleries we should introduce
> amenity=art_gallery or something similar.

I don't think this would help, for example Birmigham has the
'Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery' which is certainly not an art
gallery in your sense of the word.

-- Matthijs