[Tagging] Do-it-yourself versus hardware stores

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Mon Feb 8 23:39:24 UTC 2016

Hi all,

We currently have separate tags for shop=doityourself (37 857
instances) and shop=hardware (24 674 instances).

The OSM wiki gives the following definitions:

Do-it-yourself:
| Do-It-Yourself-stores (DIY for short) are similar to hardware stores, except
| they are generally larger and stock a wider range of products.
| Products sold may include hand tools, power tools, self-assembly furniture,
| decorating products, bathroom and kitchen furniture and fittings, garden
| furniture, electrical goods, fencing, flooring, and more.

Hardware:
| A hardware store, sometimes known as an ironmongers shop in the UK, is
| where you can buy screws and bolts, nails, hooks and other metal materials as
| well as metal tools.
| A hardware shop will often stock a wide range of products which can include
| building, electrical, plumbing supplies, garden tools, power tools,
kitchenware,
| homeware, locks, keys, and a key-cutting. Where these types of product/service
| are supplied in isolation, a different tag may be more appropriate.

As you can see, these definitions are quite similar. Not surprisingly,
taggers have problems with these definitions too. Some examples
* Home Depot in the US is tagged home depot 1161 times as
shop=doityourself, but also 148 times as shop=hardware.
* True Value, according to the wiki a prototypical American hardware
store, is tagged 74 times as shop=doityourself and 106 times as
shop=hardware.
* The Dutch shop Hubo, which might fit the Hardware definition better,
is tagged 23 times as shop=doityourself and only 4 times as
shop=hardware.

Would it make sense to keep distinguishing between shop=doityourself
and shop=hardware? If so, how could we make the difference more
precise?

-- Matthijs