[Tagging] Do-it-yourself versus hardware stores

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 03:33:09 UTC 2016

What if we were to define doityourself as a shop where one can purchase
everything necessary to build a house, from tools and materials up to and
including beams and sheathing, roofing, toilets, sinks, electrical
cabinets, furnaces, etc.? We can ignore the fact that professional builders
use Home Depot because in a sense they are doing-it-themselves too. It's
just that they do it for money, which IMO should have no bearing on the
type of shop it is.

AFAIK, Ace Hardware stores do not carry a wide enough assortment of items
to qualify. Lowes and Home Depot do.

It is still a slippery slope regardless.
virus-free computer protected by Avast.
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 9:57 AM, Jaakko Helleranta <jaakko at helleranta.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>
>> shop=doityourself
>> and shop=hardware are the same thing, with some notion of scale,
>>

> So this is rather similar distinction as
> shop=convenience
> vs.
> shop=supermarket
> .. and perhaps even on top of that
> vs.
> shop=department_store
> as many department stores also have a food department (albeit certainly
> not all).
>
> If this is the case then isn't the distinction a real and a needed one?
>
> Cheers,
> -Jaakko
> --
> OSM/Twitter/IRC/Mumble: @jaakkoh * My profile: http://about.me/jaakkoh