[Tagging] Do-it-yourself versus hardware stores

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Feb 9 07:51:05 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 8:57 PM, Jaakko Helleranta <jaakko at helleranta.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>
>> shop=doityourself
>> and shop=hardware are the same thing, with some notion of scale,
>>

> So this is rather similar distinction as
> shop=convenience
> vs.
> shop=supermarket
> .. and perhaps even on top of that
> vs.
> shop=department_store
> as many department stores also have a food department (albeit certainly
> not all).

And the distinction between variety store and department store.  I tend to
rank Walmart (especially the old-skool, not supercenter or neighborhood
market locations), Family Dollar, Dollar Tree  and Dollar General as
variety stores, and Fred Meyer locations (the original, everything
"one-stop shopping" concept, not the newer standalone Fred Meyer
Express/Loaf-n-Jug/Tom Thumb/Quik Stop/Kwik Shop/Turkey Hill or standalone
Fred Meyer Jewelers locations), Target/SuperTarget as department stores
that happen to sell groceries.