[Tagging] Do-it-yourself versus hardware stores

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Feb 9 19:30:09 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-02-09 at 10:19 +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02/09/2016 12:39 AM, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> > Would it make sense to keep distinguishing between
> > shop=doityourself
> > and shop=hardware? If so, how could we make the difference more
> > precise?
>
> "A shop=doityourself is to a shop=hardware what a shop=supermarket is
> a shop=convenience".

Absolutely, the difference is important and to homogenise the tagging
would wrong.

The difference is about service, a shop=doityourself is about pile it
high and sell it cheap. The staff have little or no knowledge beyond
how things are labelled and certainly can't suggest a thingy that fits
a watchamecallit.

In a hardware shop the staff will be able to give advice, will happily
sell you one of something and not insist you buy a complete pack.

Phil (trigpoint)