[Tagging] Do-it-yourself versus hardware stores

johnw johnw at mac.com
Sat Feb 13 10:24:42 UTC 2016

> On Feb 13, 2016, at 5:36 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> in OSM, distribution warehouses are industrial

What do they make there? Isn’t distribution “commerce”?

A factory that manufactures IKEA furniture is industrial.

Their Main distribution warehouse seems “commercial”

Their shops are retail.

Their big distribution buildings are zoned “industrial” though… I guess I’m wrong.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/34.9845/-118.9416 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/34.9845/-118.9416>

What about delivery substations? these are medium-sized package sort facilities.

Kuroneko Yamato (with the black cat carrying a kitten) is Japan’s DHL or FedEx. They are everywhere.
https://goo.gl/maps/EEvkFEJpVJ52 <https://goo.gl/maps/EEvkFEJpVJ52>
This is a hub warehouse, for distribution to my region.

Seino is a regional distribution company. This is a big hub for them.
https://goo.gl/maps/1W8NeT57ns72 <https://goo.gl/maps/1W8NeT57ns72>

Then there are the local centers.
https://goo.gl/maps/o7qLk8L9cg72 <https://goo.gl/maps/o7qLk8L9cg72>
here is my kuroneko center. It has a small office for you to pick up packages and a warehouse for the local (tiny) trucks.

The local centers do not seem industrial at all. Perhaps the big regional ones are.

the area I live in is close to Tokyo, but “out in the rural area”  with cheap land near the expressway, so it is used heavily for distribution centers for shippers big and small. There are possibly hundreds of distribution warehouses just in my sleepy corner of Japan. I don’t want to tag them incorrectly.

And Japan has a very large amount of local sort centers. There are 4 within about 7 KM of me just for Kuroneko, which is very different from UPS or FedEx in the US. And they don’t seem industrial at all.

Javbw