[Tagging] path=hiking in use

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 08:47:38 UTC 2016

I disagree.  If we use something specific like footway=hiking then that
implies the path is only for hiking.

It's a path.  Its purpose is for whatever you want to do.  highway=path
perfectly encapsulates the idea "there is a path here".

'hiking' could be used as a tag on a route, which is a set of pieces of
path or road (or steps) which form a hiking trail.

Here in Korea, a lot of the paths are also access for fire wardens and
forestry workers, and on the lower slopes they are used to reach grave
sites for ceremonies and maintenance.

They /can/ be used for hiking, but that is not an exclusive use.

Andrew