[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Government offices

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 10:41:01 UTC 2016

> Basically you are saying that the English term matches the definition
> correctly, but that there exists a near-synonym in Germany that does
> not match the definition. I don't think that's enough reason to change
> the tag (or its definition).

No, I say that there are 2 principal meanings / usages in English for the
term "government", one corresponding to the German usage, and one not, and
that this fact alone makes a different name for the tag desirable. Germany
was just an example, and of course there is a term for all branches
together in German (de: "Staatsgewalt"), and if I were to find a system
that fitted particularly well for Germany, I'd insist on distinguishing
"Ämter" from "Behörden" ;-)

I guess the actual interpretation of the term "government" will heavily
depend on how the governance is organized, so I am not surprised that in
the UK which doesn't implement a strong separation of powers (legislative
and executive powers are intermingled,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westminster_system ), the term can refer to
both, legislation and the executive branch.

Cheers,
Martin

See also here for reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_powers#Comparison_between_tripartite_and_bipartite_national_systems