[Tagging] Wharf

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Feb 16 18:59:34 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-02-16 at 15:46 +0100, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> Wharf (US English) and Quay (British English) seem to be equivalent
> and describe a fixed structure that has land on one side and water on
> the other, but the French môle or brise-lames is different: it is a
> structure that protrudes into the water, but is normally narrow and
> often there is not even a walkway on it. It's also uses in German:
> Mole
Wharf is used in British English too, it is used where canal boats load
and unload.

Phil (trigpoint)

More information about the Tagging mailing list