[Tagging] Tagging an area for seasonal snowfall?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 11:51:33 UTC 2016

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:seasonal:snowfall:regaintime

this looks like a completely useless tag to me, or at least misleading and
prone to guesswork and phantasy mapping. If I understand it right, the tag
tries to say something about the usage frequency of footways in the winter,
but uses quite subjective criteria and has a lot of undeterminable
variables in it (e.g. how much snow in what time, what are the temperatures
(because lower temperatures will lead generally to less people walking,
just as will precipitation, while sunny weather will encourage more people
to go outside, also walking). From my own experience, ways are more "easily
walkable in dress shoes" if you're the first to use them (but this might
depend on the amount of snow), while ways that get used a lot have to be
treated or will become slippery ice ways soon. etc. etc.

Cheers,
Martin