[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting (reminder) - Jewellery shop

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 12:19:04 UTC 2016

> Besides, language is constantly evolving, often in the interest of making
> words simpler, and perhaps it's time for the needless double "L" in
> jewellry to bid a fond farewell to the OSM scene.

yes, language is constantly evolving, but until now it hasn't evolved to
"jewellry" but rather remained "jewellery".

"the most used tag" should not be the only criterion IMHO, otherwise we
might end up with things like "highway=residental" if enough people use the
wrong spelling. iD for instance potentises the currently most used value by
suggesting it (if I'm not wrong, this is done without any human judgement
or intervention, based on pure statistics). Other editors do similar things
and an unnoted typo in an import conversion ruleset can have devastating
effects on usage statistics, particularly for less frequently used tags.

How much time will be uselessly consumed in all the introductions on OSM,
where people will have to say: "we use English words in its British variant
for tags, save for jeweller stores, where the American variant is used".

Cheers,
Martin