[Tagging] Wharf

Malcolm Herring malcolm.herring at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 17 14:18:08 UTC 2016

 From the IHO Hydrographic dictionary:

breakwater. A structure protecting a shore area, HARBOUR, ANCHORAGE, or 

jetty. In U.S. terminology, a structure, such as a WHARF or PIER, so 
located as to influence CURRENT or protect the ENTRANCE to a HARBOUR or 
In British terminology, a PIER, usually of solid construction, intended 
as a berthing place for vessels. See DOCK, LANDING, WHARF.

mole. A massive structure of masonry or large stones serving as a PIER 
or BREAKWATER, or both.

pier. A long, narrow structure extending into the water to afford a 
berthing place for vessels, to serve as a promenade, etc. See also JETTY.

quay. A WHARF approximately parallel to the SHORELINE and accommodating 
ships on one side only, the other side being attached to the SHORE. It 
is usually of solid construction, as contrasted with the open pile 
construction usually used for PIERS

wharf. A structure serving as a berthing place for vessels.

More information about the Tagging mailing list