[Tagging] landuse=commercial

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Fri Feb 19 16:24:55 UTC 2016

No, zoning is a way more complicated topic than most OSMers realize.  Urban planning zones are even more arbitrary and transient than property boundaries.  Every local government has their own unique zoning plan and the zones are never as clear cut as residential/commercial/industrial.

FWIW I only tag landuse=residential/commercial/industrial/retail when it is an distinct area with a name and a sign.
e.g.
landuse=residential + name = Murray Hill Estates
landuse=retail + name = Dewey Meadow Shopping Center
landuse=commercial + name = Connell Corporate Park